This recipe for Tailgate Chili with Beans is Gluten Free, and is simple to make in the slow cooker too!
I love to serve chili, pizza and appetizers for game day parties. Make the chili in the slow cooker (even the day before) and set the crock on warm for the party, with bowls & spoons next to it and an assortment of toppings: cheese, sour cream, chopped green onions, pico de gallo, guacamole and chips - that way guests can make nachos too! Pair it with a slab-pie pizza (this Tomato Slab Pie is perfection) fudgy brownies and some fabulous friends.
- 2 pounds ground beef chuck
- 1 pound bulk Gluten Free Italian sausage
- 3 (15 ounce) cans kidney or pinto beans, drained
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 fresh jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 4 cubes Gluten-Free Beef Bouillon
- ½ cup Gluten Free beer (drink the rest!)
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Gluten Free Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons Gluten Free hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco™)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
On the Stove Top:
- Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Crumble the ground chuck and sausage into the hot pan, and cook until evenly browned. Drain off excess grease.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery, green and red bell peppers, and jalapenos to the pan, and saute for 5 minutes. Pour in the beans, diced tomatoes tomato paste, bouillon, and Gluten Free beer. Season with chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, cumin, hot sauce, salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, and sugar. Stir to blend, then cover and simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- After 2 hours, taste, and adjust salt, pepper, sugar and chili powder if necessary. The longer the chili simmers, the better it will taste. Remove from heat and serve, or refrigerate, and serve the next day.
In the Slow Cooker:
Brown the beef & sausage slightly in a saute pan, draining off any excess grease. Add the beef, sausage & all other ingredients to slow cooker crock, stirring to blend. Cook on low for 5 hours or more. Chili can be made the day prior, refrigerated & served the next day. Before serving, taste and adjust salt, pepper, sugar and chili powder if necessary.
Let Us Know What You Think