- 4 pounds small (not baby) red potatoes, well-scrubbed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup snipped chives, plus additional for garnish
- In 8-quart saucepot, combine potatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, and water to cover; heat to boiling on high. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 45 to 55 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with tip of knife. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, in microwave-safe cup, microwave milk and margarine on High 1 minute or until margarine is melted and milk is warm.
- Return drained potatoes to saucepot. With potato masher, coarsely mash potatoes with sour cream. Gradually add warm milk; continue to mash until well blended but potatoes are still slightly chunky. Stir in snipped chives, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- To serve, spoon potatoes into serving bowl and garnish with additional snipped chives.
From Good Housekeeping