- 3 pounds chicken wings, wing tips removed and wings cut into 2 pieces
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 4 small dried red chiles
- 2 whole star anise
- One 3-inch cinnamon stick
- 1/3 cup Gluten Free soy sauce
- 1/3 cup sake*
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce *
- 3 tablespoons mirin *
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
*Sake & Mirin are both Rice wines, and are Gluten Free. True Oyster Sauce is also Gluten Free, but some cheaper commercial brands contain additives & colors. Be sure to read the ingredients statement to be certain these products are Gluten Free.
- In a very large nonstick skillet (or in batches), cook the chicken wings over moderate heat, turning once, until golden, about 8 minutes. Add the ginger, chiles, star anise and cinnamon and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the soy sauce, sake, oyster sauce, mirin, sugar and 1/3 cup of water and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the wings are cooked through and the sauce has reduced to a thick glaze, about 8 minutes. Discard the chiles, star anise and cinnamon. Transfer the chicken wings to a platter, scatter the scallions on top and serve.