Make this easy, gluten-free Moroccan Chicken on the stove, in the oven or in your slow cooker. It’s delicious and so simple! If you can’t find dried figs, it’s also fabulous with dried prunes.
This tasty Moroccan Chicken is grain-free and Paleo-friendly. Serve it over polenta, with rice, with cauliflowe rice or alongside a big salad. My kiddo loves this dish, and I’m betting you will too.
- 3 pounds chicken, cut into serving size pieces or chicken breasts
- 8 dried California figs, snipped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine or apple juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted or almonds, slivered
Remove skin from chicken pieces. Place in heavy pot or large skillet and brown on all sides. Add all remaining ingredients except sesame seeds; cover. Reduce heat and cook for 20 to 30 minutes until chicken is done. Turn into serving bowl.
Sprinkle sesame seeds or almonds on top and serve piping hot.
Note: May also place covered skillet in oven at 325°F and cook for 2 hours, until chicken is done, or turn into slow cooker set on low and cook on low for about 6 hours, until chicken is done.
Recipe Courtesy: California Fresh Fig Growers Assn.