- 1-2 cups pureed beets (4-8 medium-large beets)*
- ½ cup butter or non-dairy substitute, room temperature (e.g. Earth Balance® Buttery Sticks)
- 1 ¼ cup granulated cane sugar (e.g. Wholesome Sweeteners®)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp. gluten-free vanilla extract (e.g. Nielsen-Massey®; Kirkland®)
- 1 ½ Tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 cups applesauce (no sugar added)*
- 1 ¼ cup milk, dairy or non-dairy vanilla milk (e.g. So Delicious® cultured Coconut Milk; Earth Balance® Soy Milk)
- 2 cups Jules Gluten Free™ All Purpose Flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa (not Dutch Alkali processed)
- 2 tsp. gluten-free baking powder (e.g. Rumford®; Clabber Girl®; Hain®)
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
*Depending on how many beets you use, you can make up the difference with natural applesauce. For example, boiling only 4 medium-large beets will yield approximately 1 cup of beet puree. Supplement that amount with 1 cup of no sugar added applesauce. If using enough beets to make 2 cups of puree, add no extra applesauce. If you are concerned about there being a beet taste in your cupcakes, use only 1 cup of beet puree and 1 cup of applesauce.
Wash beets and remove greens. Boil until fork-tender, approximately 40 minutes for medium-large size beets. Drain and allow to cool. Peel skins off (they will come off easily once boiled) and puree in a food processor or mash until smooth. Measure puree to equal 2 cups (total beets + applesauce should be 2 cups, so if you have more or less puree, simply make up the difference with applesauce).
Preheat oven to 350 F (static) or 325 F (convection).
Cream butter and sugar until light. Add eggs, vanilla, cider vinegar, applesauce and cooled beet puree. Whisk together dry ingredients, then add to wet mixture, slowly pouring milk in, while mixing. Beat an additional 3 minutes.
Spoon batter into lined or oiled muffin tins, filling ¾ full. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cake tester or skewer inserted into the center comes out nearly clean. Let cool. For an extra special treat, add Cream Cheese Frosting.
Makes approximately 24 cupcakes.
Recipe Courtesy: Dr. Stephen Wangen
Thanks to: Jules Gluten Free