2 c Better Batter Gluten Free Flour
1 tsp salt
1/3 c sugar (sugar may be added to taste)
1.5 c milk, milk substitute, or water
poppy seeds, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease 1 or two cookie sheets or muffin top tins.
2. In an electric mixer, beat the flour, salt, 4 eggs, sugar and milk or water on high speed for 7-10 minutes. This should produce a batter with the consistency of soft butter-cream icing.
3. Working quickly, spoon this mixture by ½-cup portions onto prepared cookie sheets or muffin top tins. Wet hands and gently smooth and flatten mounds to a width of 3-4 inches and a depth of 1/4 to 1/2 inch.
(Note: If you desire a soft edge to the bun, as with store-bought buns, use a cookie sheet and place mounds so that they touch slightly when flattened. For a crisper crust on all surfaces of the bun, use a muffin top tin or do not allow buns to touch on cookie sheet.)
4. Mix together 1 egg white with a little water and the poppy seeds until well-combined. (I like a heavy amount of poppy seeds.) Brush mixture onto the dough.
5. If desired spray with cooking spray – this will improve the finished appearance and texture of the cooked bun.
6. Place in hot oven and bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and puffed.
7. Allow to cool completely before slicing.