- 1 cup butter or non-dairy alternative (e.g. Earth Balance® Buttery Sticks)
- 2 cups granulated cane sugar
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1 Tbs. lime juice
- 1 tsp. gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs. almond extract (optional)
- 1 tsp. grated lime zest (approximately 1 lime)
- 2 3/4 cup dried/candied fruit*
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup molasses or dark agave nectar
- 3 cups GFJules All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 Tbs. gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup Cointreau, Grand Marnier or other citrus flavored (preferably) liqueur/liquor plus additional liqueur/liquor for brushing on finished cakes
*Dried/Candied fruit should ideally contain a mixture of several fruits such as cherries, cranberries, raisins, sultanas, dates, figs, pineapple, citrus peel (see my recipe).
In a small saucepan, gently heat the 1/2 cup of liqueur/liquor and add the dried (but not the candied) fruit, like raisins and cranberries. Heat and stir occasionally until the liquid is nearly absorbed.
Preheat oven to 350º F. Oil and dust two 9-inch round cake pans or 1 large bundt pan plus 4-6 small loaf pans with GFJules All Purpose Flour. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and beat until well mixed. Add in the rum, lime juice, extracts, wine, zest and molasses. Stir in the dried/candied fruits.
In another bowl, whisk together the dried ingredients: GFJules All Purpose Flour, baking powder, spices and salt. Fold into the wet batter just until integrated. Pour into prepared pans.
Bake for 45 minutes in the small loaf pans or 60 minutes in larger pans, checking to be sure the cakes are not burning at the edges though. A knife inserted into the centers should come out clean. Brush the tops of each cake with citrus flavored liqueur/liquor. Cool in the pans for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to finish cooling. Wrap cooled cakes in plastic wrap and then foil, if freezing.