- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- ½ cup shelled unsalted sunflower seeds (raw or? toasted) or nuts of choice (if tolerated)
- ¼ cup coconut oil + 2 tablespoons olive oil or oil ?of choice
- 1 clove garlic or ½ teaspoon gluten-free asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons water, as needed
- Dairy-free Parmesan cheese or low-fat grated cheese of choice, optional
- Sprigs of fresh basil
1. Combine basil, sunflower seeds, oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a food processor. Pulse until leaves are incorporated into mixture and seeds are ground. Add water a tablespoon at a time, if needed, to help mix ingredients.
2. Serve immediately over your favorite gluten-free spaghetti or noodles. Garnish with sweet peppers, cucumbers and fresh basil. Top with grated cheese of choice.
TIP: Pesto will darken naturally if allowed to stand too long or when kept in the refrigerator. Reduce this oxidation by storing it in a glass jar with a thin layer of oil over the pesto.