This Dairy Free Basil Cream Sauce is packed with fresh basil flavor and a little taste of garlic – it’s so delicious, you’ll never miss the dairy. The recipe was perfected by my beautiful friend Chef Hillori Hansen – you may remember her from our video about Spatchcocking – and we’ve served it on fresh gluten-free pasta, over grilled fish, and we love it on zoodles.
We’ve given you the super-easy recipe for Dairy Free Basil Cream Sauce below, as well as directions for making zoodles (zucchini noodles) and assembling a colorful, flavorful dish. Yum.
PS – don’t skip soaking the cashews, that’s an important step!
- 1 cup cashews, soaked until soft*
- 1/2 cup water
- One lemon, juiced and zested
- 1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 teaspoons miso
- 2 cloves chopped fresh garlic
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
*Typically you need to soak nuts a minimum of 3-6 hours to get them soft. Soak in water, rinse and drain.
if you’re making zoodles, see below
- 4 medium zucchini
- Salt for sprinkling noodles
- 1 cup cherry or pear tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 cup basil cream sauce
- 2 – 3 large basil leaves, chopped