For the Oysters:
12 large oysters, shucked
1 cup Gluten Free flour blend or Rice Flour
1 cup cornmeal
½ cup toasted walnuts, coarsely ground
Salt and pepper
Canola oil for frying
For the apple and celery root remoulade:
1 lb celery root, peeled and julienned
1 large apple, peeled, cored and julienned
6 tablespoons mayonnaise
6 tablespoons crème fraiche
2 teaspoons Gluten Free coarse-grained mustard or Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon finely minced parsley
1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
¼ teaspoon salt , or more to taste
For the Cranberry Dipping Sauce:
1 teaspoon butter
¼ cup minced shallots
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
1 cup sugar
¾ cup water
12 ounces fresh cranberries
2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon sherry
Pinch of salt
1. Prepare three shallow bowls: add the flour to the first bowl and season with salt and pepper, add the eggs to the second one and beat until well combined, add the cornmeal and ground walnuts to the third one and season very well with salt and pepper and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
2. In a medium Dutch oven or frying pan, add enough oil to have 2 inches of oil in the pot. Heat on medium heat until 370°F.
3. Place each oyster in the flour, then the egg, then the cornmeal. Pack the cornmeal mixture around the oyster with your fingers. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Sprinkle with salt. Serve with the celery root remoulade and the cranberry dipping sauce.
Celery Root Remoulade:
Celery root, one ugly root vegetable:
1. Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Season with salt. Chill until ready to serve.
Cranberry Dipping Sauce:
1. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and sauté the shallots and garlic. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook over medium-high heat, until the cranberries burst and the sauce thickens, about 15 minutes.
2. Strain the sauce into a bowl using a fine mesh strainer, pressing on the cranberries to release all the liquid. Alternatively, pass through a food mill. Discard the skins.
3. Place sauce in a jar until ready to serve.
Recipe Conversion of an Original by: One Vanilla Bean