Recipe courtesy of Frannycakes Based on the recipe in Christina Tosi’s Momofuku Milk Bar Cookbook and adapted from Amateur Gourmet.
- 1 8 ounce package (227 grams) cream cheese (plain, not low-fat)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 60 grams (¼ cup) brown sugar
- 1-2 handfulls raisins (optional)
- 3 grams (or ¾ teaspoon) active dry yeast
- 185 g (or ? cups) room temperature water (warm enough to activate but not so hot it kills the yeast)
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 300 grams (or 2¼ cups) gluten-free all-purpose flour
- Neutral oil
- 1 egg
- 75 grams sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon stirred in
- Cream the cream cheese and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the raisins.
- Scoop the filling into 12 equal portions onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and freeze.
- Combine the yeast, lukewarm water and sugar and let stand for 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer comine the salt, cinnamon and the flour blend. With the mixer on low, slowly stir in the yeast mixture. Once it starts to come together, put it in an oiled bowl somewhere warm for 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and lightly beat your egg.
- Wrap 30 grams of dough around each ball of cream cheese filling, pinching to make sure there are no holes. Place on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet.
- Brush dough balls liberally with egg wash and then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Balls are done when they are a light golden brown and some of the filling has exploded out.