1/2 cup water
1 link Gluten Free Spanish style chorizo, fresh or cured (I used fresh)
¼ cup minced shallots
1 garlic clove, finely minced
¼ cup white wine
½ cup Gluten Free Panko breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons grated Manchego cheese
2 teaspoons parsley
2 tablespoons olive oil
Stuffed clams before broiling:
1. Scrub clams with a stiff brush. Place the clams in a large bowl and cover with water, add a large pinch of salt to the water and dissolve. Let them sit for 20 minutes. Carefully remove them from the bowl and rinse them with cold water.
2. In a large stock pot, add the water and bring to a simmer. Add the clams and cover with a lid. Steam the clams for 5-7 minutes, until they have opened. Remove from the pot. Discard any clams that did not open. Remove from the shell and set aside. Reserve 12 half shells.
3. In a large skillet, over medium heat, add about 1 tablespoon olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the chorizo and cook until brown. Add the shallots and the garlic, and cook until the shallots are translucent. Bring the heat to high, add the wine and cook until the wine reduces completely. Place the chorizo mixture in a bowl, and add the panko, grated manchego, parsley, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Place 1 clam inside one clam shell, top with 1 tablespoon of the filling. Sprinkle with a drop of olive oil. Place the clams in a half cookie sheet that has been lined with crumpled aluminum foil (to prevent them from moving around).
5. Heat your broiler and broil the clams until the stuffing is golden brown, 3-5 minutes. Watch them closely, you don’t want them to burn. Transfer to a plate with tongs and serve with a lemon wedge.
Recipe Conversion of an original by: One Vanilla Bean