This Barcelona-Style Gluten Free Hot Chocolate Recipe on G-Free Foodie is sure to make the season bright! Try it dairy free too: with soy, coconut or almond milk.
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 2 ounces good-quality dark or bittersweet (60 to 70 percent cocoa, dairy free is OK) chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/3 cups milk (dairy, soy, coconut or almond)
- 1 cup brewed espresso or strong coffee
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 2-inch piece orange rind strip
- 1/4 cup whipped cream or dairy free whipping topping
- Cocoa powder or cinnamon (optional, for presentation)
Combine 2/3 cup boiling water and chopped chocolate in a medium saucepan, stirring until chocolate melts. Add milk and next 4 ingredients (through rind); cook over medium-low heat, stirring with a whisk. Heat 5 minutes or until tiny bubbles form around edge of pan, stirring frequently (do not boil). Discard rind. Pour 1 cup mixture into each of 4 mugs.
Spoon 1 tablespoon whipped topping over each serving. Dust with cocoa powder or cinnamon, if desired.