Looking for an allergy friendly appetizer? When entertaining, I like to offer at least one gluten free and dairy free appetizer that everyone can enjoy. This Prosciutto Wrapped Sweet Plums recipe is a great choice. They’re similar to Bacon-Wrapped Dates but with a bit of a milder flavor. It can even be made dairy free and Paleo-friendly by simply omitting the parmesan cheese!
Dried sweet plums are also called prunes. They often get a bad rap (you know what I’m talking about) but don’t let that put you off this recipe. Trust me – they’re totally delicious. Look for the ones in the premium dried fruit section. Not a fan of pecans? Try two pistachios or leave the nuts out entirely. Play around with the different fillings and figure out which combinations suit your palate. Prosciutto Wrapped Sweet Plums are sure to be your new favorite finger food!
PROSCIUTTO WRAPPED SWEET PLUMS
- 15 high-quality dried and pitted sweet plums or prunes
- 3 oz. Parmesan cheese cut into 15 small rectangles
- 15 pecan halves
- 7-8 thin slices prosciutto cut lengthwise
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Make an incision on one side of each prune to open it up, and insert a block of cheese and a pecan. Pinch the prune shut in your hand to secure. Wrap each prune with a piece of the prosciutto, and secure with a toothpick. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper, and arrange the prunes one inch apart with the prosciutto seam up to bake.
- Roast the prunes for 7 minutes, and remove from the oven. Serve immediately.