Perfect (and sturdy enough!) for houses and full of spice for tasty gingerbread boys and girls, this Gluten-Free Gingerbread Cookie recipe is a holiday must-have. It’s straight from the pages of GFF Magazine, their website also features plans for a midcentury-modern gingerbread house that’s the cutest thing we’ve ever seen.
You’ll want to grab those house plans and subscribe while you’re there – GFF has way more than fabulous gluten-free gingerbread up their sleeves. Although we think this recipe might be enough to love them!
The Best Gluten-Free Gingerbread Recipe
This recipe from pastry chef Cindy Falatic McIntosh of The San Francisco Ritz-Carlton was featured in GFF Magazine, our gourmet go-to source.
- 1 cup 125 grams brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup 150 grams white rice flour
- 1 cup 100 grams gluten-free oat flour
- 3/4 cup 100 grams buckwheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/2 cup 115 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup 100 grams granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cups molasses
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, sift together the flours, xanthan gum, baking soda, and spices.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or by hand, cream the butter and sugar until smooth and combined. Add the egg and molasses to incorporate. Add the flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Scrape the batter into a medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 3 hours or until cool.
- Transfer the batter to a piece of parchment paper, place another piece of parchment paper on top, and with a rolling pin, roll the batter 1/4 inch thick. Follow the gingerbread house pattern here or cut shapes using a cookie cutter, dipping in flour for each cut. Arrange 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets and bake until edges just begin to brown, 8 to 11 minutes. Cool and construct the house or decorate the cookies using the icing.