Tis the season for apples, pumpkins, and everything fall! I have been craving donuts for so long but never got around to actually making them. I bought the donut pans a long time ago and have never used them (I have no idea why) But that all changed yesterday. I got so excited about this recipe because it has been so long since I have had a donut for one, but for two this was a donut that wasn’t going to destroy my tummy, thank goodness. These apple cinnamon donuts are full of flavor and very cake like and moist, especially with the maple glaze. Nothing worse than a dry donut to try and choke down. I brought some donuts to my neighbors who loved them and the kids loved them so much they almost ate them all except one which I saved for my husbands lunch, however the donut didn’t make it to the lunch bag, but his tummy instead. I will be making these donuts again and again in a variety of different flavors.
Gluten Free Vegan Apple Cinnamon Donuts
- 2 cups All Purpose Gluten-free Flour
- 4 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 cup Applesauce, Cinnamon
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk
- 2 teaspoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons Pure Maple Syrup, Agave or Honey
- 6 Tablepoons Vegetable Oil, or Oil of Choice
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
FOR THE GLAZE:
- 1-1/2 cups Confectioners Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons So Delicioius Dairy Free Coconut Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray donut pan with a non stick spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl add, gf flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and sea salt.
- Whisk dry ingredients until combined.
- In a glass measuring cup add milk and apple cider vinegar, stir until mixture becomes curdled.
- In a stand mixer add maple syrup, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and brown sugar.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients and then milk mixture.
- Beat until smooth, scrape the sides of the bowl and mix for 10 seconds.
- Using a piping bag or a ziploc bag (I used a ziploc) pipe mixture into donut pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove donuts from pan to a wire rack and cool completely.
FOR THE GLAZE:
- In a small bowl add confectioners sugar, coconut milk, maple syrup, and vanilla.
- Whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Dip the top of donut into glaze and place donut back on wire rack to dry.
Recipe courtesy of Rachelle Himmelman, Gluten Free Baking By Rachelle