It is such a pleasure to guest post on G-Free Foodie’s Blog! KC and I have been friends for several years now. We love her blog because it is full of information of living gluten free, gf restaurant resources, advocacy for the gluten free lifestyle and of course hundreds of delicious gluten free recipes. KC is hosting one of Mama’s Gluten Free Giveaways in honor of Celiac Awareness Month, so be sure to enter to win a great box of goodies from Gluten Free Mama. And be sure to check our blog that has resources for baking gluten free, dairy free guide, bread baking guide, gluten free pie tips, and Celiac and Gluten Free Support Group Resource page along with delicious recipes too!
Need a patriotic, Red, White and Blue, recipe to take to your holiday party or picnic this weekend? Try Mama’s Gluten Free Strawberry Rhubarb Pie with Blueberries. Mama’s makes this strawberry rhubarb pie extra special by topping it with cut-out pie dough stars for the top crust layer. It’s easy to make, makes the house smell fantastical, and will surely entertain and impress your guests.
Gluten Free Strawberry Rhubarb Pie With Blueberries
This delicious strawberry rhubarb pie is easy to make, makes the house smell fantastical, and will surely entertain and impress your guests.
- 1 Package Mama’s Pie Crust Mix or 2 gluten free pie crusts layers
- 2 ½ cups fresh rhubarb, cut into ¼- ½ inch pieces
- 2 ½ cups fresh strawberries, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 tsp. orange zest
- 3 Tbsp. Mama’s Almond or Coconut Blend Flour, or cornstarch
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 inch star mini cookie cutter
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- Egg white mixed with 1 tsp. water, optional*
- Prepare pie crust as directed on bag. Roll out half of dough to about ¼ inch thickness, between two pieces of wax paper lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Remove top layer of wax paper. Flip dough over and press into pie pan getting it into all the corners. Then gently remove top layer of wax paper. If you have tears or gaps in the dough, don’t worry, use the extra dough from over hang and press into gaps. Cut excess dough around the rim of the pan leaving about ¼ inch over hang. Fold the ¼ inch over hang under and flute the crust around the rim, making a nice design.
- In a medium bowl, combine rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, zest, orange juice and gf flour or cornstarch. Mix well to combine. Spread evenly into pie pan. Sprinkle blueberries evenly over the top of strawberry rhurbarb mixture, allowing them to rest on top, without mixing them into the mix.
- Roll remaining half of pie dough between two piece of lightly sprayed wax paper, again to about ¼ inch thickness. Remove top layer of wax paper. Baste the top of the dough with egg white wash. Mix the ¼ cup sugar the ¼ tsp. cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly across the dough. Cut out stars with your mini star cookie cutter. Place stars on top of pie filling starting in the center and working your way to the outside. Place the stars fairly close together. Then baste the edge of the pie around the rim with egg white wash, so that the stars will stick to it. Cut out more stars. Baste the bottom of the star with egg white wash and then place all round the rim of the pie.
- Place in 400 degree oven on center rack in oven. Set time for 20 minutes. Then place a ring of foil around the out edge of pie to prevent the stars around the rim from burning. Bake for another 20 minutes. Then place a piece of foil over the top of the pie to prevent overbrowning. Finish baking for another 20 minutes. Total baking time is 60 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- *EGG FREE: If you are egg free you can baste with warm water instead of egg white wash. It will still work, just won’t give it that shiny look and sugar might brush off slightly.
- GFM Tip: Before juicing orange, zest the entire orange. Save the excess orange zest in a Ziploc bag in the freezer for later use.
- GFM Tip: Do you have rhubarb coming out of your ears? No worries. Just wash it up good, and then cut into ¼- ½ inch pieces and place in large freezer safe ziplock bags and store in freezer to use in recipes all year round.