This time of year you can always count on finding a beautiful a bowl of bright orange clementines in my kitchen. Clementines are one of the few fruits I will eat. I hated fruit as a kid and loved vegetables. However, I do eat fruit as an adult because I know its good for me and I want to set a good example for my 2 year old daughter. Clementines are delicious! They are sweet, easy to peel and full of whole food nutrition. For just 35 fat-free calories, one clementine delivers more than half of your daily value for vitamin C. Perfect for cold and flu season!
The other day I was looking at my bowl of clementines and I was inspired to test out a easy, all purpose gluten free breakfast muffin. I wanted something that would be bright and fresh. Different from the heavy pumpkin or sweet potato muffins I have been making all winter. I ended up taking a standard muffin recipe I found in my old Betty Crocker Cook Book and messing with it a bit. What came of that was a light and sweet gluten free orange breakfast muffin. Just what I was looking for! When they are warm the aroma of orange blossom fills the house. MMM! I can smell it now. Freeze them and warm one up on your way out the door for work. The smell alone will make you smile!
Gluten Free Orange Breakfast Muffins
These light and sweet gluten free orange breakfast muffins freeze wonderfully for bringing to work, and fill the house with a wonderful aroma.
- 1 cup +2/3 cups Gluten Free Mama’s Almond or Coconut Flour
- 1/4 cup raw almonds blended to powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp of melted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar I use organic coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup Optional
- zest of 5 clementines or 1 whole naval orange
- 1/3 cup fresh pressed orange juice
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk or non-dairy substitute
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Baking Tip: For a lighter muffin blend all the dry ingredients in a food processor first then hand mix them together with the wet.
Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 way full and bake. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, till tops are golden brown.