With these healthy, Gluten-Free Muesli Breakfast Cookies on hand, mornings should go pretty smoothly. Plus, they’ll be delicious!
I am not a morning person. I have never been a morning person. In fact, I have painful memories from my childhood, where I was forced to sit with my family each morning and have breakfast. My father–definitely an early bird–would chirp questions at me in rapid fire; How did you sleep? Did you do your homework? What do you think about x, y, or z? Why are you S O G R U M P Y?
In my mind, those breakfasts were a kind of a prolonged torture. Not only was I not hungry first thing in the morning, but I definitely didn’t want to talk. To anyone. About anything.
Not much has changed in the years since. Motherhood brought a clustercuss of early morning responsibilities, but marriage brought my one saving grace–a cup of hot coffee, gently placed bedside to rouse me from sleep and into my day. My love is the earlybird in the family. And to save himself from certain death, let’s just say he’s learned how to “manage” my morning temperament (namely avoiding eye contact and all conversation) until I’m at least one mug of coffee in.
Another thing that saves me is planning for breakfasts (and lunch) in advance, especially on busy school mornings. The last thing I want to do on Monday morning is open an empty pantry (or fridge) and have three hungry kids to feed.
So when Bob’s Red Mill sent me a package of their new gluten-free muesli, I knew exactly what to do with it–make breakfast cookies! They are really more like small granola bars, but calling them breakfast cookies (and adding a few chocolate chips) make them so much more appealing to the kids (and me too, I must say). Sweetened only with banana and a touch of honey, and packed full of oats, seeds, cranberries, apples, rice bran, almonds, coconut and pumpkin seeds, they are loaded with flavor and fiber.
GLUTEN-FREE MUESLI BREAKFAST COOKIES
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 1/4 cup maple almond butter or other nut/seed butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 1/4 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-free Muesli
- 1/2 cup gluten-free mini chocolate chips or gluten-free butterscotch chips
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper.
- Whisk bananas, almond butter and honey in a large mixing bowl until smooth. Stir in the muesli, chocolate chips, vanilla extract and sea salt until evenly combined.
- Using a scoop that holds approximately 2 tablespoons or batter, scoop the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 2-3 inches between each cookie.
- Bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven and flatten gently with a spatula. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then cool completely on a rack.