Gluten-Free Eggnog Cake recipe courtesy: Alison Needham, A Girl Defloured
Look, I’m no Sandra Lee–and most of the time I turn my nose up at cake mix. But sometimes, especially during the holidays, I need a quick dessert recipe. One that I can literally have in the oven in five minutes. One that fills my house with the most comforting aroma of eggnog. One that I can serve unashamed to the most discriminating guests (or the least discriminating guests…who are much more fun to entertain, no?).
And so it is with this cake. My mom used to make it when I was a kid, which is probably why I love it so much. It was impressed upon my psyche at a young age, as most holiday goodies are, and now it is a forever tradition. After becoming gluten free, I panicked–would the gluten free cake mixes taste as good as Betty Crocker’s glutenous versions? In a word, pretty much! (Ok, that was two words…)
My favorite gluten free cake mixes are from Kyra’s Bake Shop in Portland, Oregon, which she’s sadly stopped making. (We keep asking for more!) Pamela’s Classic Vanilla Cake Mix works well, and King Arthur Gluten-Free Yellow Cake Mix is great. Feel free to use whichever one you like the best, or any other gluten-free cake mix you like, but make sure that you check the quantity. If the mix only makes one cake you’ll need two packages for this recipe (and you will if you use Kyra’s).
Sometimes I glaze it, other times I dust it with powdered sugar…you really can’t go wrong with this classic Christmas confection.
The rum glaze is delicious, but a bit on the boozy side, so if children will be eating the cake, you might want to substitute it for pure vanilla extract. For this recipe I used Pamela’s Cake Mix because it’s easy to find. If you have another cake mix, make sure it’s the quantity that makes 2 9-inch cakes, otherwise you will need two packages.
Love eggnog desserts? Try this Individual Eggnog Bread Pudding recipe too – it’s so delicious! For another amazing Bundt cake that starts with a cake mix, bake this Perfect Sherry Spice Cake.It’s one of our absolute favorites.
INCREDIBLY EASY GLUTEN-FREE EGGNOG CAKE
- 1 package of Pamela's Classic Vanilla Cake Mix or similar GF Cake Mix that makes two 9-inch cakes
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup gluten-free eggnog whole fat is best
- 1 ounce dark rum
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons eggnog
- 1 teaspoons white or spiced rum
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease a bundt pan well with gluten free cooking spray or butter.
- Place cake mix, melted butter, canola, eggs, eggnog, rum and nutmeg in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or use a hand mixer). Beat on low speed until all ingredients are incorporated (about 1 minute), beat on medium high for 1 minute more.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Make the glaze by whisking the eggnog and rum or vanilla into the powdered sugar until the mixture is smooth and shiny. Drizzle decoratively over the cake. Top with an additional sprinkling of nutmeg if desired. Or just dust the finished, cooled cake with powdered sugar, instead of making the glaze.
This is the cake of Christmas memories. Not only does it taste fabulous, but your home will be filled with the most wonderful fragrance of nutmeg, butter and rum. T