One of my fondest memories growing up was the smell of my mom’s homemade bread. She baked bread all the time and the smell was intoxicating. Is there anything sweeter than the smell of a loaf of yeast bread, baking in the oven? We could never wait until it was cooled off to take a bite either. Warm, golden bread. Slathered with butter. Nothing more simple, yet nothing more satisfying.
In our house, as much as we all love bread, we just don’t eat it nearly as much. We’ve been gluten free for almost 4 years now. Bread has just become a treat, especially homemade bread. It makes it that much more of a treat. I know how much my kids go crazy for homemade bread (my husband even more so) and that’s why I try to make it every once in awhile. Baking. It’s my love language.
I’m calling this the “everyday bread” because you really could eat it everyday! It’s great for sandwiches or to serve alongside a bowl of hot soup. We had friends over for dinner and enjoyed slices of this hearty bread with our meal. It reminds me of a good whole-wheat bread, but without that deadly wheat. It’s doesn’t dry out either. Even after a few days. The top is nice and crusty. Mmmmm. I wish the loaf wasn’t already gone. I could go for another slice right about now, topped with some strawberry jam. My kind of snack.
Everyday Gluten Free Vegan Bread
This gluten free vegan bread is great for sandwiches or alongside hot soup. It doesn’t dry out (even after a few days) and the top is nice and crusty.
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1 cup warm So Delicious unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons organic cane sugar
- 1 3/4 cup Sarah’s gluten free flour blend
- 1 1/4 cup certified gluten free oat flour*
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/3 cup ground chia seeds
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or honey
- 2 tablespoons certified gluten free rolled oats
- Prepare 9×5 loaf pan by spraying with non-stick cooking spray or lining with parchment paper. In medium bowl, whisk together warm water, warm coconut milk, yeast and sugar. Allow to sit for 5 minutes to proof and become foamy. While yeast is activating, sift together flour blend, oat flour, cornmeal and salt in large bowl of standing mixer.
- When yeast is ready, add ground chia seeds, ground flaxseeds, oil and maple syrup to yeast mixture. Stir and let sit 2-3 minutes, until it has thickened. Add wet ingredients to flour mixture and mix on low. When flour is completely incorporated, continue to mix on medium-speed for 2 minutes.
- Scoop bread dough into prepared loaf pan. Smooth out dough with rubber spatula or wet fingers. Sprinkle top of dough with oats. Cover with damp cloth and let rise for about an hour or until dough has risen to top of pan. When dough is almost ready, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place water bath on lower rack in oven (I filled an 8×8-inch baking dish halfway with water). Place bread in oven on middle rack and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove bread from oven and place on cooling rack. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing bread from pan. Allow to cool for about an hour before cutting (it will be too gummy if you cut it too soon). Once cooled, slice and serve. Store in ziploc bag or air-tight container.
- *To make oat flour, just place 1 cup gluten free oats in a blender/food processor and blend for a couple minutes until you have oat flour.