If you've ever wondered if McCormick Spices are Gluten Free, you're not alone. Here's the answer, directly from the company.
Excerpt of an email from McCormick Spices to G-Free Foodie:
"Thank you for contacting us regarding your special allergies and intolerances to gluten. We understand that there are a growing number of people that have gluten concerns. We would like to take this opportunity to provide some additional information and let you know that there are many products available to you that will add the flavor you desire.
We often get the request for a list of our gluten-free products. We do not provide a list because we want you checking the ingredient statements of our products. McCormick can guarantee you the following:
1. All of our single ingredient spices are gluten-free. Our single ingredient spices are 100% pure, with nothing additional added to them.
2. All of our extracts are gluten-free. They are made with a synthetic Ethyl Alcohol, not a grain-based alcohol.
3. If our products have gluten in them, it will be listed clearly in the ingredient statement. We do not hide any allergens under “natural flavors” or “spices.” This pertains mainly to our Dry Seasoning mixes and some blends. An example is our Beef Stew Seasoning Mix. This contains gluten, and states, “Wheat Gluten,” in the ingredient statement.
4. McCormick goes a step further. If an ingredient is derived from wheat source, such as Maltodextrin, it will be listed as “Maltodextrin (WHEAT), in the ingredient statement.
5. McCormick follows good manufacturing practices at our plants and takes extra precautions to eliminate the possibility of mislabeling or cross-contamination.
If we can be of further assistance, please call us a 1-800-632-5847, Monday through Friday, 9:30AM to 5PM Eastern Time."
Are McCormick Spice packets Gluten-Free?
McCormick has recently repackaged their Gluten-Free Spice Packet Blends to make the "Gluten-Free" banner more visible across the front of the packet.
*The McCormick company stated verbally when called that they are very careful to make sure their processing lines are thoroughly cleaned between runs, but they do run the blends that contain gluten on the same lines as their other products.
McCormick Spices Gluten Free : G-Free Foodie
Frequently Asked Questions about Gluten in McCormick Spices:
All McCormick single ingredient spices are gluten-free. McCormick extracts are gluten-free as well.
If McCormick products have gluten (certain spice blends and mixes do), it will be listed clearly in the ingredient statement. McCormick does not hide any allergens under “natural flavors” or “spices.”
No, McCormick Original Taco Seasoning does not contain gluten. It contains: Spices (Including Chili Pepper, Paprika, Oregano), Corn Starch, Salt, Onion, and Garlic.
You can also look for the McCormick Gluten-Free Taco Seasoning Mix with the green "Gluten-Free" banner on the packet. McCormick Gluten-Free Taco Seasoning Mix contains: Spices (Including Chili Pepper, Paprika, Oregano, Cumin), Onion, Whey (Milk), Salt, Garlic, Sugar, Potato Starch, Red Pepper, and Citric Acid.
No, McCormick Original Taco Seasoning does not contain MSG.
No, McCormick Thick & Zesty Spaghetti Sauce Mix does not contain gluten. It contains: Modified Corn Starch, Sugar, Salt, Corn Maltodextrin, Onion, Tomato Powder, Garlic, Spices (Including Basil and Paprika), Green Bell Pepper & Natural Flavor.