Article courtesy: Mary Fran Wiley of Frannycakes
Some days, I really, really just want dinner in a hurry.
And I don’t want dinner out of a box. (No offense, gluten-free macaroni and cheese, you’re just not an option every day.)
I actually don’t keep food in a box in my apartment. It forces me to make real food. One of my best tricks? Steak dinner in 15 minutes.
Seriously good food with steak, parsley and some pantry ingredients. This dish doesn’t require much finesse – you just need to be able to heat a skillet, roughly chop some herbs and whisk together some sauce. And then you toss it together. That’s it. Easy peasy weeknight dinner. You can even roast some asparagus or make a salad while your meat cooks.
It will make your instagram friends jealous. And your real life friends might just show up for dinner.
- 1 pound quality flank steaks
- Paprika (about 1 teaspoon total)
- olive oil (about 1 teaspoon)
- salt & pepper
- ½ bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 heaped teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- juice from ½ lemon (or 1 small lemon)
- salt & pepper
- Drizzle your steak with olive oil and sprinkle with the paprika, salt and pepper on each side (make sure you rub the seasoning into your steak).
- Set a cast iron or grill pan over high heat, and make sure it is hot before adding the steaks.
- While they cook, roughly chop the parsley leaves and finely chop the stalks on a cutting board. Add the mustard, lemon juice, olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and mix together, either on your cutting board or in a bowl. (It is perfectly acceptable to just smush it around on your cutting board). If you mix it in a bowl, spread it on your serving plate.
- Slice the cooked steak and toss with the sauce.
- Serve with a salad or some quick-cooked veg.